Do I Need A Permit?

Permits are required by most municipalities for signs that have a tie to a business. This means, signs that are used for promotion of a business, product, or business event. Most non-profit events, church events, and personal events are not really regulated.

Happy birthday signs, garage sale signs, and real estate signs are not usually regulated by the cities code enforcers.

In order to find out if you are going to need a permit, you need to call the building inspector of your town/city. He can tell you what regulations your town/city has, how much a permit costs, and how long the permit lasts.

The farther away you go from the city (Buffalo), the longer the permits last. Most suburbs of Buffalo allow 1-2 months maximum a few times per year.

To find the phone number to your town hall (Building Inspector/Code Enforcers #), just do a Google search and the town website should pop right up!

Town/City Normal Rules Building Inspector 
Amherst 1 Month Grand Opening, 2 week regular, 2 permits per calendar year  716.631.7000
Buffalo Permits Usually Not Needed 716-851-4926
Cheektowaga  $50 Deposit required, 30 day maximum Fees (716) 686-3490 or 686-3471
City of Tonawanda  $50 Per Sign   Permit Fee Schedule 716-695-1806
Clarence Temporary signs will be granted a time limit of 30 days. A business may have a temporary signnot exceeding 60 days per year. Rules  One Town Place
Clarence, NY 14031
(716) 741-8933
Depew  30 days maximum, Once per calendar year Rules  Tony Fischione, Code Enforcement Officer 716-683-1400 x143
Grand Island  No Bigger than 32 square feet LINK 4 times per year, 30 day increments. $100 for 30 days Phone 773-9600 ext. 646
Kenmore  $50.00 website  (716) 873-5700
North Tonawanda No sign permits needed (716) 695-8595
Lancaster  All temporary signs must receive a permit from the Lancaster Building Inspector and, where applicable, the Village of Lancaster Historic Preservation Commission before use. LINK  716-684-4171
Niagara (Town Of)  Temporary sign permits are required for each sign proposed to be erected/placed, at a cost of $25.00. The total allowable number of temporary signs, depends on the type of signage proposed . LINK Building Inspector
Charles Haseley
(716) 297-2150 ext. 125
Tonawanda (Town of)  Code SIGN 25SF – 34.99SF $60.00 –  PORTABLE GROUND SIGN (2 WK INCREMENTS (8 WKS TOTAL) LINK 716) 877-8801
Williamsville  sign permit form   (716) 632-4120 x3011
Wheatfield  Call for information   (716) 694-1026
West Seneca  $70/60 Days Fee Schedule  (716) 558-3242website

Last updated 7/6/2015